HIM 445 Milestone Two
November 4, 2022
Overview: This is your second opportunity to work on your final project. For Milestone Two, consider areas related to the EHR system in your internship site that
are ripe for improvement. Remember: Your work in both milestone assignments functions as initial thinking about the questions you will address in Final Project I.
Note: Although the rubric for this Milestone does not match up perfectly with the Final Project I Rubric, the work you complete will help you prepare for the final
Prompt: Respond to each of the following questions using the Milestone Two Template document:
- As a brainstorming exercise, list four to six areas you have observed at your internship site (related to the EHR system and its supporting processes) that you might consider as subjects for an improvement proposal. Present each area in a separate paragraph, explaining what you think the problem is (or problems are) and your initial thoughts about how you might propose improvements.
- Now that you have identified a number of options, select the best option for your proposal. Explain what drew you to this particular area, why it is significant, what might be needed to implement your proposal, and what the costs will likely be in terms of both financial and personnel investments.
- Explain how you believe your proposed changes would be received by the stakeholders at your internship site. That is, do you believe your idea would be enthusiastically accepted or initially rejected? If different stakeholders would have different reactions, explain what their reactions would likely be and why.
- What do you think the results of your proposed changes would be in the short term—say, three or four months? What about in the long term—say, 12–18 months? Explain the reasoning for your belief that the changes would enhance efficiency/effectiveness. (If you discover that you cannot make a strong case for making the EHHR system more efficient/effective, you should probably go back and select a different area for your proposal.)
- Finally, explain how your ideas for this proposal were inspired by the work on the Neehr Perfect assignments you completed in this course. How did comparing/contrasting the “nearly perfect” system from Neehr Perfect help you identify opportunities for improvement at your internship site?