How do we connect with those who are different from us?
November 5, 2022
Read and give a reader’s response to the text. First, give a brief initial response to the text – how did you feel reading it? What was his tone?
Some thoughts/ideas to ponder:
• How do we connect with those who are different from us?
• Why is difference sometimes threatening?
• What do we gain from joining a group? What do we lose?
• What does it mean to be a stranger or outsider? What does it feel like? Who gets left out and why?
• How does identity play a role in the text?
Text to self:
• How does this remind me of my life?
• How is this similar to my life?
• How is this different from my life?
Text to text:
• What does this remind me of in another text I’ve read?
• How is this text similar to other things I’ve read? How is it different?
• Have I read about something like this before?
• How does this connect to other assigned texts in this course or in other courses?
Text to world:
• How does this remind me of the real world?
• How is this text similar to things that happen in the real world?
• What passage relate to the world around me?
• How does this text make me think about the world differently?