How do you racially and/or ethnically categorize yourself (using what term or terms), and why?
April 6, 2023
The purpose of this assignment is to allow you to express your opinion on various topics involving the concept of race and reflect on how some of the topics in this class might apply to your life. This is also an excellent opportunity to practice your writing skills.
Please respond to one of the following prompts:
- How do you racially and/or ethnically categorize yourself (using what term or terms), and why? (Additional questions to answer, if you need additional writing ideas: has the term you used to describe your race changed over time? Are there connotations in popular culture—good or bad—with the term you chose? What other descriptors do you use to describe yourself that intersect with the category of race that might affect how others view and treat you?)
- America is often described as a “melting pot.” Do you think assimilation of new immigrants is good and necessary, or can it have negative consequences? Explain. (Feel free to consider this issue from the viewpoint of immigrants, the viewpoint of the country, or both.)
- Polls suggest that a majority of Americans support inter-racial marriage. What are your thoughts on inter-racial marriage or inter-racial relationships?
- Choose ONE prompt that interests you the most.
- Provide a paragraph to page-long response to the prompt. Please be sure to clearly identify somewhere at the top of the page which prompt you selected.
- Click Submit Assignment in the upper right corner, choosing the upload type for your assignment. Clicking Submit Assignment will complete your submission.
You can either type your assignment directly into Canvas using the online text option or you can upload your writing assignment as a Microsoft Word Document or a PDF file.
The amount of time to complete the assignment will vary greatly on how rapidly you write, and will range from approximately 30 minutes – 2 hours. You can submit this assignment any time between now and Monday, Apr. 11 by 11:59pm.
Criteria for Success
Give a well thought-out response to one prompt. Be sure that the response is your own, please! No credit will be given to plagiarized responses. Your written assignment doesn’t need to sound perfect. It just needs to be in your own words, and it should be clear that you gave the prompt sufficient thought and put time into making sure your response is understandable.
This is a graded assignment worth 15 POINTS (out of a possible 105 points you can earn in the class). Please refer to the rubric for how the assignment will be graded.
Rubric for ANTH 3610 Writing Assignment #2
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeProofreading/clarityMinimal/no typos?||3 ptsFull marksNo or minimal grammatical errors or misspellings.1.5 ptsNeeded to proofread one more timeResponse contains some typos.0 ptsNo MarksProofreading was not done, and writing contains many grammatical errors and/or typos.||3 pts|
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeLogical order of explanation||10 ptsFull MarksIn response, ideas presented logically flow from one another.5 ptsSome clarity problemsSounds as though student put the response together while focusing on something else, as evidenced by sentences left unfinished, or the same sentences repeated more than once (these are true examples from some of Dr. Parga’s past classes)!0 ptsNo marksThoughts and sentences in jumbled order – no attempt was made to ensure that reader could follow train of thought.||10 pts|
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeWas prompt that was chosen identified somewhere?||2 ptsFull MarksPrompt that the student selected for a response was clearly identified.0 ptsNo MarksPrompt was not identified.||2 pts|
|Total Points: 15|