You are part of the Advising Process Improvement Team, which has completed its analysis of the process and identified multiple areas for improvement. You are responsible for implementing “Advisorpedia” – a Self-Help e-advisor modeled after Wikipedia. This will be a system “for students, by students” where students (and related others) can contribute knowledge relevant to the advising process.
Advisorpedia has 7 knowledge areas as described in the table below.
· Listing of advisors, department contacts, and Advisorpedia volunteers
· Contact info, specialty, availability
· Link to their calendar/booking system
· Examples of academic plans for different combinations of majors and minors
· Templates for standard majors & minors
· Official description of advising processes
· Access to required forms
· Form Tracker template (showing steps your form takes to get approved)
How I Did It’s
· Informal “process” descriptions for how individual students accomplished specific advising goals
· Especially helpful when not in CCB
· How to tell if you are a special case vs. can use a standard process
· How to escalate your case when necessary
· Answers to common whats, whys, and other non-How To questions
· Breaking news about new/proposed changes that may impact the advising process
The purpose of Advisorpedia is to collect and share reliable information about the advising process. Its goals are to (1) increase the ability of advisors to handle larger caseloads by reducing the time needed to address simple/routine advising needs, (2) decrease time and frustration for students seeking information on the advising process.
To gain support for your project, you need to prepare an Executive Brief– a short (3 page) document that describes Advisorpedia, presents the rationale for implementing it, and gives examples of the type of content you expect users to contribute.
Create a 3-page document (extra pages allowed for diagrams or figures), in business format, that addresses the following:
· Provide an overview of the problem
2.0 Advisorpedia (Product Description)
· Overview of what Advisorpedia is
· Description of what it does
· Description of how it will work
· Why/how Advisorpedia will improve the advising process (connect Advisorpedia to the problems discussed in the intro)
4.0 Sample User-Provided Content
· Select two knowledge areas
· one from How to’s or How I did it’s
· one from any of the other 5 areas
· For each selected area, provide sample content.
· Describe what the future state will look like if Advisorpedia is a complete success
Use a business format for your submission. The paragraphs should be in block form (don’t indent the start of the paragraph) with line breaks between paragraphs. You can use the format of these instructions as an example.
The goal is to present the information clearly and concisely, and to make it easy to see important points, so use headers, bullets, bolding, numbers and tables as appropriate to convey your information. (Note: you do NOT have to use all of these).
Structure your report with headers corresponding to the major areas listed above (titles are bolded). The use of these headers means that you don’t need to worry about abrupt transitions between sections – the headers take care of that for you. Remember – the goal of the report is to share information. Professional writing and a good structure will help you do that. Also, remember to cite your sources in text, and include references. Additional formatting & submission requirements are in the checklist on the following page. Use this checklist to ensure you are meeting requirements. This same checklist will be used for peer review and TA grading.