How to Write a Conclusion for a Research Paper – 5 Awesome Tips
December 26, 2022
Table of Contents
Writing a conclusion for any academic paper can be challenging. It is essential to note that one should ensure that ideas in the conclusion paragraph are presented in a straightforward manner. In so doing, the reader is impacted by both the paper and its conclusion.
In this article, we will enlighten you on what a conclusion is, the relevance of writing a good conclusion, how to write a conclusion for a research paper, common mistakes to avoid when writing a conclusion, and frequently asked questions about conclusions.
What is the conclusion of a research paper?
A conclusion is the final paragraph of your research paper or essay. It reinstills the concept you have discussed in your research paper and makes the readers feel its importance. A conclusion has various roles:
- Restate the topic and its importance
- Restate the thesis statement or your claim
- Highlights the main points
- Addresses opposing viewpoints on your topic and claim and convinces the readers why they should accept your claim
- Calls for action from the readers or researchers
Types of conclusions for research papers
There are different types of conclusions for research papers. The topic and style of the research paper bring about the difference. The main types of conclusions for the research paper are:
- The Summary: the summary conclusion clearly summarizes the main points and thesis of the research paper. It is mainly used in long, complex essays such as argumentative research papers.
- The Expansion: the expansion conclusion takes the readers beyond the specific ideas that have been stated in the research paper. It presents new ideas through:
- Reflections- thoughtful closing sentence
- Call to action- suggest readers take action
- Judgment- gives the writer’s opinion on the topic
- Question – asks a question to make the readers think
- The Frame/ Editorial: the frame conclusion takes the readers back to the ideas you are presenting, the issues, or viewpoints. It mainly connects the writer’s statements to the research topic.
Importance of a good conclusion
A good introduction services various roles. A good and effective conclusion paragraph helps the reader remember your argument or position and refocus on the main points to acknowledge the importance of the research paper.
A good conclusion can also set the basis for the continuation of research through calls to action and questions.
An effective research paper conclusion:
- Leaves a final impression on the readers
- Restates the thesis statement and stresses its importance
- It offers a sense of completeness to the research paper as it summarises all its ideas.
How to write a conclusion for your research paper
When writing the conclusion to your paper, follow these general rules:
1. Restate your research topic
The first step should be to restate the topic of the research paper in clear and simple language. When restating your topic, make sure your sentence is clear and concise.
Here is an example of the first sentences of a conclusion in a paper about the Covid-19 pandemic.
“The covid-19 pandemic affected the global economy in different ways, causing a minor recession.”
2. Restate the thesis
Next, restate your claim or thesis of the research paper. You reword the thesis from your introduction paragraph. It is crucial to restate your thesis statement in a single sentence.
Here is an example of thesis restatement in the conclusion of a paper about the Covid-19 pandemic.
“The governments of different countries played a significant role in the rebound of the state and global economy because they intervened using different packages.”
3. Summarize the main points of your research
The third thing you should do when writing your thesis statement is to summarize or highlight the main points of the research paper.
To make the summary of the main points compelling, you should read your paper several times and pick out only the most essential points. The summary should only contain the main arguments and facts presented in the research paper that instill the topic’s importance to the readers.
Here is an example:
“With the increasing number of Covid-19 infections and lockdown measures, many businesses were closed. The increased case of closure meant that no business was running, and thus the economy was declining continuously to a level that people exhausted their reserves. Governments in different nations had to chip in and bring different packages during and after the pandemic to help the economy rebound.”
4. Connect the significance or results of the main points
After discussing the main points, it is essential to present their significance to the readers. The significance of results can have a negative or positive outcome or impact. Either way, the connection helps to create emphasis.
Here is an example of a connection between the significance or results of the main points in the Covid-19 topic
“The government consciously used ideas from its best economists to help devise the different mechanisms to help the economy.”
5. Conclude your thoughts
There are different ways that you can conclude your thoughts in conclusion. One of the most commonly used methods is adding a call to action. This call to action prompts your readers to take action in response to your arguments. Another way to conclude your thoughts is to pose a question to your readers.
“If the governments had not intervened during the Covid-19 recession, using different packages, economies would have been tough to rebuild. Which intervention do you think was the most beneficial?”
Research paper conclusion example
The covid-19 pandemic affected the global economy differently, causing a minor recession. The governments of different countries played a significant role in the rebound of the state and global economy because they intervened using different packages. Many businesses were closed with the increasing number of Covid-19 infections and lockdown measures. The increased case of closure meant that no business was running, and thus the economy was declining continuously to a level that people exhausted their reserves.
Governments in different nations had to chip in and bring different packages during and after the pandemic to help the economy rebound. The government consciously used ideas from its best economists to help devise different mechanisms to help the economy. If the governments had not intervened during the Covid-19 recession, using different packages, economies would have been very hard to rebuild. Which intervention do you think was the most beneficial?
General rules for a conclusion of a research paper
Here are a few tips to consider and keep in mind when writing a conclusion for your research paper to make it outstanding.
- Restate your topic and thesis statement and make them clear and concise.
- Summarize the main points
- Include a call to action
- Establish the significance of the main points
Things to avoid in a conclusion
- Failure to be concise
- Including completely new information
- Avoid phrases like in summary and in conclusion
- Avoid being overly emotional in your arguments
- Resist the urge to apologize
Frequently asked questions
What is the conclusion of a research paper?
It is the paragraph where your wrap up your ideas and leave a final impression or call to action on the topic.
What is the purpose of a conclusion in a research paper?
The purpose of a conclusion is to provide closure for the reader and remind them of your claim as well as the main points of your arguments
How do you make your research paper conclusion effective?
You make the research paper conclusion effective by following the general rules:
- State your topic and thesis in clear, simple language.
- Highlight the main points
- Establish the significance of the main points and pose a call to action
What to avoid when writing a conclusion.
- New ideas
- Lack of summary
- Bringing up minor points
- Phases like “In conclusion” and “In summary”